Hi, I'm Micah! I'm a full-stack engineer based in Portland, OR.
I'm currently heading up all things front-end at Redwood Materials. I just started in November 2022 and am very excited to be working in green tech with a lot of talented people!
When I'm not taking my cats for a walk, I'm often coding or thinking about one of these things:
Writing a tiny library that enables declarative conditional logic in React Hook Forms.
Experimenting with all sorts of solutions to identifying ads in podcasts
Update: check out AdblockPodcast.com
Learning how to be a dad.
I spoke at the 2021 PWA Summit and try and stay up-to-date on all things PWAs
Feel free to shoot me an email if you'd like to work on something together!
GitHub | Email
- Playing around with object detection using Tensorflow on a the Raspberry Pi B+.
- A Preact-based WordPress plugin for cleaner database searches.
- A silly, social webapp called Any Mammal's Milk first written in Svelte then migrated to React + Firebase.
Before Redwood, I worked at BeFunky for 5 years (2017 - 2022) on their a popular Photo Editing and Graphic Design platform.
I was initially brought on to help the team finish migrating their Flash app to web tech (WebGL canvas + web components). It took many months, but we did launch a desktop-oriented webapp, then did a complete overhaul to make it work well on mobile as well, and finally distributed the webapp across all platforms as an installable PWA. Along the way, I got to work on all sorts of fun stuff:
- Saving assets & user settings in IndexedDB
- Getting the app to work offline and with low-connectivity (using Workbox)
- Building web components using Haunted & Lit-HTML for templating
- Proxying all our backend services through Fastly so we could serve them from the same origin (avoiding DNS lookups)
- Trying my darnest to keep the site performant even as we were shipping more and more features!
The land of milk and honey
Portland's alright (-; but if you're ever in Goshen, Indiana be sure to check out: